Thursday, January 6, 2011

Dinner Rolls

I think making gluten free bread will always be a work in progress, but this is my latest attempt/revision and it worked out great.  I have a good white bread recipe, but it isn't the healthiest so I don't make it all the time.  I was determined to make a healthy dinner roll to go with our winter soups and our summer salads.  With a lot less starch, lots of whole grains and some flax, these rolls are yummy and healthy.  Who knows, maybe I'll change it again, but for now we are all happy.
Rolls

1 T. active yeast                                 1 tsp. salt
1 T. sugar                                            1 egg
1 cup warm water                               3 T. shortening
½ c. potato starch                               ½ tsp. cider vinegar
½ c. millet flour                                    2 ½ tsp. xanthan gum
½ c. sorghum flour                               ¼ c. corn flour
¼ c. teff flour                                       2 T.  flax meal

Combine yeast, sugar and water and let stand.  Mix remaining ingredients in mixer, then add yeast mixture, and beat for 2 minutes.  Drop into 12 greased muffin cups.  Cover with foil and let rise until dough doubles in size, bake at 375 for 20 min.  

*If you don't have flax or don't like it, just leave it out.

1 comment:

  1. Funny, the "work in progress" idea regarding bread is the same in our house. My hubby commented the other day about how we rarely have the same kind of bread twice in this house. He wasn't complaining mind you, just noticing.:)

    I also have been experimenting with getting more of the whole grains in our diet while still using the grains that I can find in bulk to grind to keep costs down. (Currently we do all you have listed above expept for teff and starches which we buy.) I can't wait to try your recipe. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete